Easy Sausage + Potato Frittata
This easy sausage + potato frittata is perfect for your breakfast meal prep. The best part? You only need a few five ingredients to make it!
Happy Thursday, my friend! Have I ever told you that Thursday is my second favorite day of the week? There's something about the anticipation of Friday (and the weekend...of course!) that makes me super excited to see Thursday. Of course, there's nothing like Friday and the end of a work week, but Thursday is something special, for sure.
Ok. let's check in - how have the first few weeks January been for you?
I know a lot of people set goals and resolutions at the start of a new year and I am right there with you! I love the feeling of a fresh start that the new year brings and a lot the excitement that comes with it. There's this inspiring feeling that anything can be accomplished. One of my intentions is to carry that feeling with me all year instead of just viewing it as something only attached to January. I want to walk through this year believing that, on any day, whether it's the first of the month or the 31st, anything is possible.
Alright, enough about January, let's talk about breakfast. The most important meal of the day. I know getting in a good solid breakfast can be hard. We're so busy packing our lunches, feeding the dog, and trying to get out of the house on time, that breakfast could quite easily be the last thing on our minds. Having something already prepped and ready to go, that you can just grab, helps make breakfast time so much easier during the week, which is why I love the recipe I'm sharing with you today.
You can make this easy sausage and potato frittata Sunday night, slice it, pack it in a Tupperware container, and just grab it out of the fridge for an easy breakfast the next morning. It re-heats really well in the microwave, which makes it's a great option for those mornings when you need to eat breakfast at your desk. Frittatas are also perfect for a breakfast or brunch when you need to feed a few people. I love making this recipe for my family when I go home for a visit because it's a filling dish that everyone loves.
Another thing I absolutely love about this frittata is that it only takes 5 ingredients (minus salt and pepper) to make. You just need ground sausage, onion, a russet potato, spinach, and eggs. I bet you have at least a few of those ingredients in your pantry or fridge already! I used my new Inspiralizer for the potatoes in this recipe but you could easily just shred them using a food processor or box grater.
You can stick with this simple recipe or use it as a starting point and get creative. Diced bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, cheddar cheese, or mushrooms would all be great flavor additions!
Sausage + Potato Frittata
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (use a Whole30 compliant brand if you're doing a Whole30)
- 1 medium russet potato (finely shredded or spiralized)
- 1/4 cup diced or spiralized onion
- 2 large handfuls of spinach, chopped
- 8 - 10 large eggs, beaten (I started with 8 and ended up needing 10)
- hot sauce (optional, I added a few dashes to my beaten eggs)
- garlic powder
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large non-stick and oven-safe skillet, brown the breakfast sausage, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When the breakfast sausage is cooked through, add the potato and onion. Cook until the potatoes are tender and the onion is translucent.
- Turn off the heat, add in the spinach, and stir to combine. Then, pour the beaten eggs over top of everything. Add 1 or 2 extra beaten eggs as needed.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are completely set. Slice and enjoy!