Slow Cooker Chili
Super easy slow cooker chili is the perfect weeknight meal. Make this the next time you need something easy!
Let's talk about the crockpot, or more technically, the slow cooker. Did y'all know that Crock Pot is technically a brand of slow cooker? Yep, I had no clue either. Slow cooker, crock pot, whatever you call it, it is an amazing piece of kitchen equipment. Slow cookers work really well with tougher inexpensive cuts of meat, making them a great tool for cooking on a budget. Big cuts like pork shoulders and chuck roasts are usually cheaper per pound, can feed a lot of people, and need long, slow cooking to become tender which makes them the perfect fit for the slow cooker.
Also, can we talk about how helpful slow cookers can be?! The fact that you can just throw a bunch of different ingredients in a pot in the morning and then come home to a delicious meal is quite possibly one of the best things ever. When I was in law school, I used my slow cooker all of the time. There's nothing better than coming home from a long day of class and studying to a hot meal that took minimal effort to make. If you're a busy student, or just a busy person, GO BUY A SLOW COOKER. Ok, that sounded demanding. But for real, I promise you, you will not regret it.
Alright, now that we've got the slow cooker basics out of the way, let's talk about this chili. Chili is the perfect dish to meal prep for leftovers. It gets better as it sits and the flavors meld. I love hearty meals like this that last for a few days, which means that I have to spend less time in the kitchen.
This recipe calls for ground beef and lean ground turkey for an extra bit of lean protein. Plus, it only takes a few minutes to brown your meat, throw everything into a crockpot, and boom - your done! Browning the meat before adding it to the slow cooker helps the chili develop more flavor. The spice blend for this recipe provides a nice hint of spice, but feel free to add a little extra cayenne pepper for a little more of a kick.
Oh, and I can't forget the toppings! I like to top my chili with grass-fed cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream, and tortilla chips. A squeeze of lime, cilantro and avocado are great too! As always, let me know if you make this and what ya think!
Want More? Check out My Favorite All the Healthy Things Chili Recipes
Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 - 16oz can dark kidney beans
- 1 - 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes (regular canned diced tomatoes will work too)
- 1 - 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil in a sauce pan or skillet.
- Add ground turkey and ground beef to the hot oil. Break the meat up into small pieces as it cooks.
- When the meat has begun to brown, add the diced onion to the pan and stir to combine. Stir the mix occasionally while it cooks.
- While the meat and onion cooks, add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and broth to your crockpot.
- Once the meat is cooked through, add the spices to the pan and cook for 1 more minute. Then, turn off heat.
- Add the meat mixture to your crockpot and stir to combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 6-8 hours
- Top with your favorite toppings. I like grass-fed cheddar, green onions, sour cream, corn chips, and fresh lime! Enjoy!